This is professional work in accounting, finance and record keeping. Work is performed under the direct supervision of the City Manager. Work involves oversight of the financial and accounting system controls and standards and ensures timely financial statistical reports for management. Directs budget, financial analysis, accounting practices and reports. Analyzes and interprets financial data and recommends changes to improve systems and financial performance. Reviews and verifies records, compliance with standards, policies and procedures. Develops internal audit procedures. Posts, verifies and reconciles accounts payable, accounts receivable sub-ledgers, expenses, and other ledger accounts on a monthly basis. Supervises the Finance Department, including the City’s utility billing employees, payroll and purchasing operations. Effective working relationships with auditors, financial institutions, government agency personnel, city personnel, and the general public is a necessary requisite for this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, procedures and practices and their application to the accounting system.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations relative to accounting and financial records.
- Ability to think conceptually, observe and evaluate financial trends, analyzes data, draw logical conclusions, and prepare comprehensive reports.
- Ability to plan, assigns, and coordinates the work of subordinates.
- Ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to gain and retain effective working relationships with financial institutions, independent auditors, city employees, and the general public.
- Ability to work on many projects at the same time in a dynamic and rapidly growing community.
- Knowledge of GASB-34 and other current Governmental Accounting Principles.
- Familiarity or experience with investment banking and municipal software.
This is a professional supervisory position that will require coordination of multi-departmental financial records, including preparation of the annual budget(s) with responsibility for accounts payable, accounts receivable, and other ledger accounts.
- A minimum of five (5) years of skilled accounting experience (two of the five years to be in governmental accounting required).
- Advanced computer spreadsheet and computerized accounting skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited university preferred.
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, five to ten (5-10) years of experience in municipal or governmental accounting may be substituted.
SALARY RANGE: $53,690 – $96,273; Salary is dependent on upon experience & qualifications.
Applications may be picked up at City of Callaway City Hall. It is also available online at http://www.cityofcallaway.com . For questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 850-215-6654. Position is open until filled.