The Building Services Director performs highly professional, administrative and supervisory work in directing the review and issuance of permits relative to the requirements of the Florida Building Code including, but not limited to, construction, alteration, and repair of buildings and other structures. The Director serves as the designated Pinellas County Building Official. The Director reports to an Assistant County Administrator.
The following tasks provide some examples of the work performed by the Director:
- Plans, directs, supervises and coordinates all activities and personnel in the Building Services Department
- Provides overall leadership and management of operations relating to building permits, reviews, inspections, and unpermitted/ unlicensed, unsafe structures
- Seeks out new business models for permitting and inspections to reduce cost and increase level of service
- Develops new policies, regulations and ordinances related to development, redevelopment, and issuance of permits
- Resolves code disputes among various parties related to code and ordinance compliance
- Approves engineers and architects as private inspectors
The work involves a significant amount of public contact dealing with the resolution of complex permitting, development, and redevelopment issues. Considerable independent judgment is required.
The candidate will possess the following minimum qualifications at the time of application:
- Certified as a Building Official issued by the State of Florida, Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR)
- Hold at least one of the Division I Contractor Certifications issued by the DBPR (at the time of appointment, the Contractor’s License(s) will be required to be placed in inactive status with the DBPR)
- 10 years professional and senior management experience in the field of growth management and regulation, redevelopment, building inspection, construction or design, combined with development review and issuance of permits that includes 5 years supervision; or
- A degree in structural engineering with major course work in urban planning, engineering, architecture, environmental science, or public administration or related field and at least 6 to 8 years’ experience as described above
About the Building Services Department
The Pinellas County Building Services Department reviews construction plans and inspects construction projects in progress at various intervals. Plans are reviewed for compliance with the Florida Building code including building, electrical, plumbing, gas, mechanical, energy and safety codes. Pursuant to a successful review, permits are issued for construction. Once construction begins, code-required site inspections are conducted. These inspections continue until construction is completed and the building is certified for occupancy.
For Fiscal Year 2017, the adopted budget for Building Services is $10.8 million with 51 positions.
Compensation and Benefits
The current salary range is $101,296 to $153,481. The starting salary will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s qualifications. Relocation expenses and other benefits may be available as negotiated.
Pinellas County offers a comprehensive and competitive array of employee benefits including group health, paid time off, life insurance, short and long term disability, dental, vision, and more. The County participates in the Florida Retirement System which offers two options: Pension Plan or Investment Plan. The County also offers an optional deferred compensation plan (IRS Section 457) with a choice of four plan providers.
Apply by: June 11, 2017
To apply visit: www.employment.pinellascounty.org
Certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, receive preference and priority in employment by the state and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled.