“ICMA and Florida City and County Management Association’s Range Rider Program”
Range Riders are retired city and county managers with lengthy experience and who are respected within the public management field. Range Riders are appointed by the boards of directors of the FCCMA and the International City/County Management Association (ICMA).
As volunteers, Range Riders provide, at no cost:
- Career and employment counsel to members;
- Guidance and counsel to members regarding ethics questions or concerns;
- Assistance to cities and counties with the managerial form of government;
- Assistance to cities and counties that are considering adopting the managerial form of government;
- Assistance to civic groups regarding the managerial form of government; and
- Assistance to members-in-transition (MITs) with guidance and direction as they seek new opportunities in public administration.
Upon request by the governing body of the jurisdiction and upon verification of a manager/administrator vacancy, provide basic guidance and assistance. Services may include: outlining to elected officials the placement process based on ICMA guidelines, determine qualifications, compensation and position requirements, assistance to local staff with position advertisements, reviewing and recommending semi-finalist candidates based on position standards established by the governing body, providing assistance to the jurisdiction during the interview phase of the placement process. The governing body shall select finalists for interviews.
Background searches on candidates are not included in the services and should be conducted through qualified individuals or firms retained by the city or county.
Range Riders are not “consultants,” but serve as colleagues and counselors.
To obtain further information about the Range Rider program and its services, please contact:
Florida City and County Management Association
Range Rider Program
P.O. Box 1757, Tallahassee, FL 32302
Lynn Tipton, FCCMA Executive Director
(850) 701-3637 • 1- (800) 342-8112
Click here to download the Range Rider Flyer.