“ICMA and Florida City and County Management Association’s Senior Advisor Program”
Click here to download the Senior Advisor Skills Brochure.
Senior Advisors (formerly range riders) are retired city and county managers with lengthy experience and who are respected within the public management field. Senior Advisors are appointed by the boards of directors of the FCCMA and the International City/County Management Association (ICMA).
As volunteers, Senior Advisors provide, at no cost:
- Career and employment counsel to members;
- Guidance and counsel to members regarding ethics questions or concerns;
- Assistance to cities and counties with the managerial form of government;
- Assistance to cities and counties that are considering adopting the managerial form of government;
- Assistance to civic groups regarding the managerial form of government; and
- Assistance to members-in-transition (MITs) with guidance and direction as they seek new opportunities in public administration.
Upon request by the governing board of municipal jurisdictions under 20,000 population or counties under 75,000 population, limited CAO search services are available. Upon verification of a manager/administrator vacancy, subject to availability, the Senior Advisors will provide guidance and assistance. Services may include: outlining to elected officials the placement process based on ICMA guidelines, determining qualifications, compensation and position requirements, assisting local staff with position advertisements, reviewing and recommending semi-finalist candidates based on position standards established by the governing body, and providing assistance to the jurisdiction during the interview phase of the placement process. The governing board shall select finalists for interviews.
Background searches on candidates are not included in the services and should be conducted through qualified individuals or firms retained by the city or county.
Senior Advisors are not “consultants,” but serve as colleagues and counselors.
To obtain further information about the Senior Advisor program and its services, please contact:
Florida City and County Management Association
Senior Advisor Program
P.O. Box 1757, Tallahassee, FL 32302
Casey Cook, FCCMA Executive Director
(850) 701-3609 • 1- (800) 342-8112
to download the Senior Advisor Flyer.