Closing Date/Time Sun. 07/16/17 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Salary $24.30 – $36.30 Hourly
$50,554.00 – $75,503.00 Annually
Job Type Full-Time Regular
Location Gainesville, Florida
Department Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs
For more information and to apply, please visit http://cityofgainesville.org/humanresources/employmentopportunities
The City of Gainesville is seeking a dynamic and experienced individual who is innovative and forward thinking and who will embrace the organization’s citizen-centered vision. The community, its elected leaders, and executive leadership team have embraced this vision.
Seeking a true leader and visionary who can help our community protect and maintain its tree resources by leading the City of Gainesville through the process of developing and implementing a strategic plan for the management of urban trees and green infrastructure.
The City Arborist will:
- Administer programs and policies to manage and enhance the City’s urban forest including City Tree Ordinance and standards.
- Build relationships with co-workers, other city departments and agencies, volunteer groups, and residents of Gainesville.
- Plan, assign, schedule, monitor, direct, review, and evaluate the work of assigned staff.
- Recommend, develop and administer urban forest management plan.
- Communicate clear direction, manage for results and lead organizational change.
- Respond to citizen driven inquiries and requests.
- Methods and techniques used in planting, nurturing, and maintaining a variety of trees and shrubs;
- Dendrology, arboriculture, and plant physiology;
- Standard practices, tools and equipment used in tree and landscape maintenance work;
- Chemical and biological measures used in controlling plant and tree insects and diseases;
- Principles and practices of organization, administration and budgeting.
- Provide scientific and technical advice and assistance on problems relating to tree maintenance, preservation, and protection;
- Interpret and apply City policies and applicable laws and regulations;
- Make presentations and conduct effective meetings;
- Effectively communicate scientific principals and City policies to the public;
- Plan and direct the work of other employees;
- Effectively communicate, both orally and in writing;
- Maintain records and prepare reports;
- Supervise, train and evaluate the work of others;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other City personnel, politicians, other agencies, and the general public.
- Understanding and influencing people in order to disseminate technical information and advice to public officials and the general public regarding forestry-related regulations, proper forestry techniques and forestry-related projects.
To be considered you’ll need the following:
- Bachelor degree from an accredited four-year (4-year) college or university with major course work in Urban Forestry, Horticulture, Botany, or related subject and;
- Three (3) years’ experience in urban forestry and horticulture including urban forestry operations and tree and landscaping maintenance with supervisory experience preferred.
- Certified Arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture.
- Valid Driver License required upon appointment.
- Valid Florida Driver License required within 30 days of start date.
- May be Required to Complete an Assessment(s)
- May create eligibility list
- May fill multiple positions
Embracing change is the Gainesville way of life!
Come join our team as we shift the culture from “No to Yes”, “from reactive to proactive,” “from policy-oriented to services-oriented”, and “from silos to teams”.