As we begin the new year and a new decade, many of us are making resolutions and/or setting goals – we are certainly looking back and looking forward. As I consider my personal priorities, I also reflect on the many benefits offered to us through our professional association FCCMA. I hope you will resolve to take full advantage of the opportunities available and make FCCMA a goal and priority in your professional life. The following is a brief snapshot of the activity occurring in FCCMA:
- Professional development and continued education – FCCMA offers a multitude of training opportunities each year.
- Our annual conference alone provides three days of stellar speakers, workshop topics and experience. This year will be no exception as the conference planning committee works diligently to secure exciting keynote speakers and knowledgeable panelists.
- Our annual symposium is always an up-to-the-minute look at a topic of critical concern to cities. The professional development committee planned a very informative workshop on “What Keeps Managers Up at Night,” held this past November in St. Petersburg.
- Our winter institute provides a training ground for city managers to delve deep into a topic of interest. In just a few short weeks, the winter institute committee will present “What does the City/County of the Future Look Like?,” in Daytona Beach. There are only a few seats left, so sign up quickly – you will not want to miss this exceptional training opportunity.
- FCCMA offers monthly webinars focusing on topics our membership has expressed interest in.
- Our newsletter is filled with informational and educational articles.
- Our district directors work diligently to provide for on-site trainings opportunities.
- Ethics training opportunities are available to meet the association ethics requirements.
- Focus groups are being conducted throughout the state to determine the role FCCMA can play in advancing women in local government leadership roles.
- Legislative review and action – the FCCMA legislative subcommittee closely watches legislation as it moves through the process and the committee reports to the membership and issues “calls to action” as needed on legislation that would affect cities and/or counties.
- Networking and idea sharing opportunities with colleagues during events and social media.
- Coaching Program through ICMA.
- Resume Review.
- Member-In-Transition Support.
- Senior Advisor Support.
- White Paper and Research Documents available through FCCMA’s premier website www.fccma.org.
- Committee Service – an opportunity to give back to your association and colleagues, while gaining invaluable experience. FCCMA has nine committees so you are bound to find one that suits your interest.
- Academic and Conference Scholarships.
- An opportunity to influence the next generation through our student members through mentorship, serving on a committee with our students and/or networking opportunities with our student chapters and during district meetings.
I want to express my appreciation to all of the membership for you input, advise and ideas on how build an even stronger association. Special thanks to all who have volunteered to serve on a committee or as a speaker or panelist. I wish you all continued good health and good wishes in the new year.
Best Regards, Shannon